Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Blasting Out of Town

 

The familiar carseat that was first to hold

Our daughter from the hospital, the rocking chair

Where a thousand bedtime stories have been told--

I threw them away as though I didn’t care.

And countless other treasures of our life

Brimming with memories, enriched with love,

Artifacts of my children and my wife

I’ve had to fling or toss or shove

Into a reeking dumpster, sad debris

From our explosive exit out of town,

And though we try to slow our exit down

Some hidden engine, roaring, blasts us free

And we must hold on tight and hope we find

A landing worth what we have left behind.






No comments:

Post a Comment

The afternoon light

  The afternoon light on the resting skin of your belly as we lie afterward and talk is the first sunlight that has reached me in weeks.