Monday, April 5, 2021

Action Hero

 

Life would be so simple if you were taken

by terrorists or some other faceless band.

I wouldn’t have to wonder where to stand

or should I act or if I were mistaken.

No cold self-doubt would leave me shaken

nor thought of criticism second-hand.

For once no need to ask, “Is this demand

less urgent than the passion it awakens?”

Just action, pure and unpolluted--

I’d load my guns and rage into the fray

with fists on skulls and blood (my own included)

flowing freely-- as the day concluded

I’d rescue you and carry you away--

but peaceful hours fill me with dismay.








No comments:

Post a Comment

The afternoon light

  The afternoon light on the resting skin of your belly as we lie afterward and talk is the first sunlight that has reached me in weeks.