Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Desert of Knowing

 

This life I live is a desert of knowing.

I see others pass in distant caravans

against the hazy horizon, suspicious clans

of silhouetted strangers rarely slowing.

I watch them, wondering where they’re going

half hopeful yet half fearful of their plans

for any contact on these shifting sands

is false and fleeting where nothing’s growing.

But somehow in this vast and lonely waste

I've found a garden lush and full and green

with beauty to admire and fruit to taste,

where lives of labor will not be erased

by burning winds, where air is cool and clean

and there’s no fear of seeing or being seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The afternoon light

  The afternoon light on the resting skin of your belly as we lie afterward and talk is the first sunlight that has reached me in weeks.