Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Swimming Through the Desert

 

Into every nook and cranny you have flowed

till every room of life has been refreshed by you

and I discover I’ve been swimming through

a dry and desert world where no one’s owed

a thing and many die of aching thirst,

their bones left bleaching in the sun while I

am always soaked and satisfied-- but why,

for me to see, must you have left me first?

Yet I had never known that I was in

the desert till we met, and then I learned

that all my life the constant sand had burned

my blistered feet, the sun had scorched my skin

and your love seemed so necessary then

like it does now that you are gone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The afternoon light

  The afternoon light on the resting skin of your belly as we lie afterward and talk is the first sunlight that has reached me in weeks.